Reduce Mailbox Size
TO FIX EMAIL TROUBLESHOOTING – MAILBOX SIZE Related issue with roadrunner
The ideal size for a mailbox is 50 MB or less. However, many users will be very content with email performance up until about 500 MB and so. In this case, accounts with greater than 500 MB of email, you should seriously consider removing or archiving some of the emails. Otherwise, you will notice low performance for that mail account.
- Diagnose that mailbox size is what is causing your problem.
Unfortunately, Plesk doesn’t have an option to check individual mailbox size. The simplest method to do this is as follows:
- Log into your server as a root or sub-user via SSH, then run the following command.
du -sh /var/qmail/mailnames/example.com/username/Maildir/
- Next, you need to access your email account. The best way to do this is to set up an IMAP connection to the account with your favourite email program.
- Then, delete and archive unneeded emails.
- If you can’t get into your email account with IMAP, you have two options:
- Try to set up a POP account instead of IMAP. Make sure it is configured to download your email. Note that all of your emails will now be on the machine you used for downloading, and not on the server.
- Try to get your mailbox size down to 50 MB or less. Note that lots of small files are more likely to slow down your email than a few large attachments.
- When you’re done, see if your email responds more quickly and/or stops giving you errors.